[pct-l] Mt Jefferson snow

Fred Gaudet fwgaz at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 6 15:52:59 CDT 2008

The snow fields on Mt Jefferson are neither "treacherous" nor do they require crampons, at least from my point of view as a 68 year old hiker.  The snow patches are no worse then those on Diamond Peak or in the Three Sisters.  There are a few patches with a steep slope, but with hiking sticks there were no worse than the snow beyond the saddle at Devil's Peak.

There was, however, somewhat more snow for longer periods.  Most times when the trail wasn't obvious, it was found in 5 to 10 minutes.  Once, though, it took me about an hour to find:  1/2 hour one evening and 30 minutes the next morning.  That stretch was around the Cathedral Rocks and was partly of some switchbacks.  Others also misplaced the trail for a while--it was cloudy/misty that evening--but all found the way.

Once at Jefferson Park, the number of footsteps from weekend backpackers provided an easy direction to follow.

Fred G

PS:  Whoever posted the orange warning sign with suggestion to hitch to Lolo Pass might consider removing the sign.