[pct-l] This records business (was Re: (no subject))

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Wed Aug 6 15:40:33 CDT 2008

The whole thing about setting records kind of bothers me a little
bit, just like the whole concept of the "unfinished" or "failed" hike
bothers me.

I met people along the way who knew about Scott and his record
setting and wanted to know where I stood in the pack. Was I in the
top 40? Huh? I'm just out for a hike. I don't care where I am among
the others. When did it become a race?

Others had heard about him and thought the trail could simply be
reduced to an ultramarathon. They felt sure they could run the whole
thing too, and that I ought to be able to as well if I did things the
ultramarathon way. They'd offer me suggestions for "nutrition", which
usually meant powders and horrid things in wrappers that surely would
"boost my performance". I don't know about you but a couple of months
on the trail and I wanted to eat things that grew on trees not things
that were extruded into wrappers. And after a couple of months I
wanted the hike to take longer so I wouldn't get there so quickly
(although I failed miserably at slowing myself down). If someone
wants to hike like it's an ultramarathon that's fine for them but it
wasn't the experience I was after.

Neither was it to hike all the way to Canada. I didn't fail to reach
the goal. I wasn't among the 300 people who set out every year toward
Canada but don't make it. I wanted to leave a little bit of the trail
left for later. Not going all the way is not failing. I hiked a great
hike and will do the rest some day. Or maybe I'll start over. Or
maybe for the rest of my life I'll only hike from Mexico to Ashland
and never go further than that. The Southern California section was
the best part anyway.

Anyway, I just wanted to complain a little. It shouldn't matter to me
much what people think, but reducing the trail to a race seemed to
reduce the trail's incredible size and spiritual dimensions to a fun
run and just made it tedious to talk to people about it at times.
Kind of like how the wilderness has shrunk to just tiny bits here and
there still with the mark of Man all over the place.

I hope Scott succeeds in his quest and I think what he's done,
whether or not he did portions of it badly, is an incredible thing.

Diane