[pct-l] (no subject)

Scott Bryce sbryce at scottbryce.com
Wed Aug 6 14:31:15 CDT 2008

jomike at cot.net wrote:
> "what's the problem??"   ...Others didn't have the chance to do the
> same, i.e.,unlevel playing field.

That is the nature of the trail. It is an unlevel playing field. Oh
well. Most of the throughs this year had to road walk between Pines to
Palms Highway and Devil Slide trail. Some have had to deal with more
snow than others.

I don't know how much we should be concerned about it. Nobody is keeping
track of records. I am sure that Scott and Joe are doing this for
themselves, and not to have anything recorded in any kind of record
book. Whether it is "official" or not, Scott and Joe are hiking their
own hike.

If Scott and Joe got permission to hike through the closed area, then
they didn't break any laws, so we don't even have to worry about what
kind of example they are setting for other throughs.

They set a goal for themselves, and I hope they make it. And that is
key, isn't it? They set a goal for THEMSELVES. The only reason it
matters to any of us is that they have become very visible in the
through hiking community. Otherwise it shouldn't matter to us. It is
their hike.