[pct-l] Scott & Joe update

Eric Lee (GAMES) elee at microsoft.com
Wed Aug 6 12:28:09 CDT 2008

Andrea wrote:

If they were allowed to continue through the "closed" area with out being
fined, arrested or hauled off the trail by the authorities.........what's
the problem??

Clearly, no one on this list knows exactly what happened with Scott and Joe in the fire incident.  Maybe after they finish one of them can explain in his own words what happened (or maybe they won't care what us armchair hikers think <grin>).

Given the few details we have, it's impossible to say whether the authorities were ok with them being on the closed trail, or whether the authorities simply had better things to be doing right then (like fighting an uncontained forest fire) than arresting them.

At any rate, since there isn't any official records body for the PCT, the whole topic of whether their record attempt is "legitimate" or not is rather moot.  For me, the only concern I have is about the lesson other hikers will draw from their experience, and we've already beat that subject to death so there's no need to repeat it.

Eric