[pct-l] If anyone is still looking to do the roadwalk around the Marble Mountains fire...

mark v allemande6 at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 5 22:30:26 CDT 2008

Hi from the Ashland Hostel.  Many thru-hikers are either in town or have just left in the past couple of days.

If roadwalking from Etna around the fire, i highly recommend sticking to Scott River Road.  I had an odyssey trying to cross the Scott Bar Mountains on a more direct line to Seiad Valley, and it added a lot of time, mileage, and hassle, although it was really beautiful and wild.  Those that did Scott River Road to Lovers Camp to the trail (Clearwater, Sundown, Belgian Waffles) seemed to like it ok and do well with it.  There is a lot of loose gravel on Scott River Road coming out of Ft. Jones, so best to do this at a low-traffic time of day.  Apparently there is a shortcut from Etna to Ft. Jones, but i didn't know about it or do it.  There is a grocery in Ft. Jones, but no functional motel.  I can't speak to Scott's Bar, since i went around a different way.

-Cuddles Quitting The Trail
www.trailjournals.com/markvpct08