[pct-l] 50mile day business

Jordan Beckett jordanrbeckett at gmail.com
Wed Aug 6 00:41:33 CDT 2008

Does anyone know if there is a pct-l at gossip.net? If there isn't I
think I might start it up.

I met show off in Seiad Valley, and he said his biggest day was a 45
thus far. Assuming the Oregon snow didn't speed him up, well, 50 isn't
impossible, but seems extravagant, especially since he was planning on
spending time off and hiking with family and friends. Show-off's style
is to alternate running and walking, and from what he told me as to
the amount of time he would spend in town, one could pull 30s every
day and be on a similar pace. I think it's an interesting style, but
quite hard on the body and imo not the best way to get ahead when one
is pressed for time. One fifty may sound cool and get you bragging
rights, but when you are pulling 38-40s consistently, this is
obviously silly, because one clearly knows that those extra ten miles
are going to make it extra hard to get up at the ass crack of dawn the
next day for another 40. Unless you have a support team. Or a
steamroller, which kind of ruins the whole leave no trace and no
motorized vehicles concept of the pct.

Jordache