[pct-l] Snow and Fire in section B.

montypct montypct at gmail.com
Wed Apr 30 01:25:18 CDT 2008

Just got an email from Ron Vaughn about Section B snow conditions and the fire:

Monty:

I hiked from Saddle Junction to Spindler Peak Trail (just south of Apache Peak) on Monday 4/28/08.  The trail still has a lot of snow from Saddle Junction to about four miles south.  There is still an ice cornice just north of Apache Peak which is difficult, but doable without an ice ax.  The snow nearer Saddle Junction is deep, soft, and melting fast.  I did it all with just a hiking pole.  There are plenty of hikers getting through to Saddle Junction, and there is some navigation difficulty near S Fork of Tahquitz Cr.  Lots of prints to follow.

Tonite's local news reports a forest fire in the area around Apache Peak.  This looks like it is right on the PCT.  Sadly, it appears that this may have been started by a hiker (the weather has been clear, no lightening).  I would advise hikers approaching the Pine to Palms highway to check with the local ranger district for further details.  I personally expect that the trail will be closed in that area within 24 hours.

I am starting from Saddle Junction on Friday.  The snow should prevent the fire from reaching that area.

Have a great hike!!!

Warner Springs Monty
Pacific Crest Trail 2650 Miles .....Again.....and Again
Sign my Guestbook
www.trailjournals.com/monty