[pct-l] CA-OR border

Suzannah Swinehart suz_quz at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 28 20:01:00 CDT 2008

Hi Erich,

My dad and I have the same goal of doing all of Oregon, starting at the CA-OR border. We are doing it in section hikes...one summer at a time. Last August we started our trek at Grouse Gap shelter, which was as close to the border as we could get before our driver felt uncomfortable. She was alone and very nervous about getting lost on the logging roads on her way back to I-5 and Ashland. (Not to say that the roads were that confusing; they seemed pretty good but we didn't want to push her if she didn't feel up for it.)

Anyway...So yeah, now we have to go back and get in those first 15 miles :) But as long as you have a confident driver who likes exploring (with a full tank of gas, for sure!) you should be fine. A good detailed map to leave with your driver is a must. We did see a decent number of cars - dayhikers, birders, etc. - so there's even the chance that there would be some traffic around if your driver did take a wrong turn.

Steel Eye had a lot of great info on that drive. Also check out the alternate route coming off of I-5, south of Ashland. I think it was road 40s15 that we were on.

Chipmunk (and Dad)