[pct-l] North to South

Roger Carpenter rogercarpenter at comcast.net
Sat Apr 26 18:01:08 CDT 2008

Hi David,
I have never hiked in central or southern California in late season like you
will be.  The weather should be great provided that you depart Tuolumne
Meadows by October 15 and arrive at Kennedy Meadows on November 1.  You will
enjoy the high passes in the Sierras in September and early October as long
as you avoid any nasty weather.  After Nov 1 the Sierras are more likely to
have snow storms.   If storms do come while you are south of K-Meadows you
will be low enough and in the desert, so any snow that falls on you will
melt fairly soon.  This year, with the deep snowpack, water sources in the
desert will not be as big a problem as it would be in a dry or normal year.
Maybe someone who lives closer to the Sierras can comment, but I think the
storms in the Sierras are more likely to arrive after November 1.

Southern Oregon and northern California will be pretty warm and dry in
August.  You will run into a lot of thru hikers if you start in early August
at Crater Lake.  On my thru hike in 1996 I arrived at Crater Lake on August
9 and was well ahead of the pack.  As you hike southbound from there you
will see many folks making there way to Canada.  Enjoy the hike!

Roger Carpenter