[pct-l] Digital Camera Recommendation for Dave from Australia

John Coyle jcoyle at sanjuan.edu
Tue Apr 15 14:37:22 CDT 2008

Dave I bought this camera a month ago after doing much research on the internet and discovering that most of the sites rated it highly recommended.  It does not meet all your criteria, but it is worth considering: the Canon A720is.  I have had three digital point and shoots and this is my favorite so far by a wide margin.

Lightweight: not really, at 9ozs. with batteries there are lighter choices

AA batteries: yes, it takes two

4MP-yes: in fact 8MP

Ease of use: yes, just set it to auto and shoot, also has manual controls

Zoom: 6x, (35-210), not bad and image stabilization also

Sturdy:  seems to be, but don't know for sure, haven't had it long enough

Inexpensive: I think so, about $200 American where I live, much cheaper mail order

Extra: has optical viewfinder which a lot of cameras don't have, easier to use in the sun

In addition, I would recommend NiMh batteries, and in particular "low discharge" AA NiMh batteries like Sanyo Eneloops (there are other brands) which hold their charge longer than normal NiMh batteries.  Also it fits in a Tamrac #5691 case ($20 or less American) perfectly with space for extra batteries and card.  I would recommend at least a 2GB card for this camera($20 or less American).

Good luck Dave.