[pct-l] Living off the land

Steel-Eye chelin at teleport.com
Sat Apr 12 21:42:48 CDT 2008

Good evening,

A 10-inch trout will yield about 4 oz. of meat, which will provide 135
Calories.  If a full-time hiker required 4500 Calories/day it would be
necessary to catch, clean, cook, and eat 33 fish per day -- every day -- all
while hiking 20 miles.  Frankly, I didn't see that much good trout water
anywhere near the trail.

In the Pacific NW there will be trailside huckleberries, which provide about
80 Calories per cup.  The need for 4500 Calories would require the hiker to
pick and eat 3.5 gallons of berries every day.  Picking that many berries
would be time-consuming, but the real problem would be the time necessary to
dig and fill about 15 cat-holes every day.

Other than that - good luck,

Steel-Eye