[pct-l] New PCT maps

Marcia gottawalk at pacbell.net
Fri Apr 11 15:17:56 CDT 2008

I haven't seen the new PCT maps. What scale (i.e. 1:100,000) are they? How are the Lat longs along the edge expressed (i.e. UTM or Degrees, Minutes, Seconds or decimals)?

I'm not on the CDT list right now and can't remember the answers to the same questions for Jonathan Ley's CDT maps. Does anyone know?

For a long hike what scale would be your first choice? I like Tom Harrison's map scale of 1:63,360 with 80 ft contours on the JMT set. 1:100000 off Topo! was not enough detail to hike by cross country in NV.

Has anyone hiked with a Excel Spread Sheet "Data Book"? It would have more frequent entries that the PCT Data Book but less prose than the Guide Books.

If you're curious, take a look at the Arizona Trail site http://www.aztrail.org/  It seems that their Pocket Maps with a scale of 1:100000 and their downloadable Data Book along with their very current water page would be all that's necessary for a thru.

Last, does anyone know a source for 11x17 waterproof map paper with both sides printable?

Thanks!
Marcia
...GottaPrint