[pct-l] SPOT Locator beacon

Bill Batchelor billbatch at cox.net
Sat Apr 12 15:33:55 CDT 2008

I read somewhere that the SPOT has a 95% "worked" when it is turned on and
"I am here" or "I need Help" button is pused and then it is left on at that
location for 20 minutes.  This, I believe, is the original intent of the
product.  The idea is that if you are stuck or fallen or otherwise in need,
you'd turn it on, press the help button, and lay it at your side.    The
signal will keep retrying and within 20 minutes it will be successful.

That being said, I am not sure the "tracking" function would work well
(where it reports a position periodically) accept say on those occasions
when you are on a break (lunch) or at camp and the unit is sitting in one
place exposed for the said 20 minutes.   Another user also said that in
their pocket, it never got a signal.  They have made a small sleeve on the
top of the shoder strap to put it in for better exposer.

I really like the idea since I often hike alone.  It is far less expensive
and lighter than the alternatives.  I would like to test it though at some
less than ideal position - say at the bottom of a canyon with modest tree
coverage - and give it the full 20 minutes to see if the signal goes out.
The function of "I am here" is the same as the "help" from a technology
standpoint.  So, testing the "I am here" function would tell you how "help"
would work too.

Gumby.