[pct-l] Cascade Locks-White Pass Hike

Barry Teschlog tokencivilian at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 11 11:09:53 CDT 2008

I did the section in 2004 (well, actually I did Panther Creek CG to White Pass).

  Anyways, I highly recommend early to mid August.  The flowers at that time of year were just amazing - in some of the meadows on the flanks of Mt. Adams, it was if someone was spraying the air with perfume.  Also, being a local, you know that early to mid August is your best chance for a week of good weather.

  I'll agree with the general sentiment that doing the 'knife edge' or 'razor back' or what ever it's called just north of the Packwood glacier crossing would be a very high pucker factor experience in poor weather.  Also - some of the best views of Rainier are from just south of the glacier crossing.

  Going though there on my thru hike in 2006 in the first part of September, the flowers were well past their prime, although the huckleberries were out in force - I have great pics of a couple other thru hikers with purple tounges and fingers.

  Depending on your goal, if you want to shorten off the hike a bit, starting at Panther Creek CG in lieu of the Columbia is a good way to trim ~35 miles off this section.  It's easy paved road access - it'll only take 15 minutes or so to drive the extra few miles.

  TC

  Hi List members- I am a lurker who plans on thru-hiking in 2010- in the meantime, this year I plan to do the 150 mile stretch between cascade locks and white pass and even though I am from washington, I need to know when this summer it might be doable in relation to the snow. I am thinking late july?? August??
  Thanks for any info- sandy