[pct-l] PCT hiker report of snow and trail conditions PCT north Hwy 74

Linda Jeffers gottago at lindajeffers.com
Wed Apr 9 23:27:51 CDT 2008

While out hiking on the PCT near hwy 74, April 6th, I’d given the PCT hiker
Paul Smith my phone number in case he needed to call for any reason.

He called me today, April 9th and told me he’d had to retrace his steps
while on the PCT north of  Hwy 74 because of  what he considered unsafe
trail conditions. He is in Idyllwild now taking zeros hoping the snow will
melt some in the upcoming sunny days.

Here is the message Paul left on my phone about the trail, “There’s dead
falls one mile in both directions from pipe gate and the old mine road north
of hwy 74. Also, there’s a pretty good slide…looks like a pretty big boulder
decided to move at first big switchback north of Apache Peak. All of this
stuff is passable but some of it’s pretty dicey, matter of fact, one of
these is pretty scary.”

This is what Paul told me when we talked on the phone later about why he
turned around on the trail and got back to hwy 74:

Four miles past Apache Peak, near Southwell Peak, the trail was steep and
snow covered. Paul didn’t have an ice ax or crampons. The snow was hard pack
and icy. He couldn’t kick steps. This was midday. He didn’t feel safe. He
retreated to Hwy 74 and Idyllwild where he is now.

He mentioned he would stay in Idyllwild through the weekend hoping the snow
would melt enough for him to pass safely. The local mountaineering store was
closed today in Idyllwild. He was headed to the Ranger Station.

I have his cell phone number if anyone would like to call him for more
clarification.

Gottago

p.s. I’ll be taking some hikers out for a day hike south on the PCT from Hwy
74 on Saturday April 12th. We’ll hike south 4.5 miles before returning back
to our cars. I will be carrying my backpack filled with some Class of 2008
PCT bandanas to give out to current year hikers who will not be going back
to attend ADZ. Hope I meet some of you Class of 2008 PCT hikers.

Our hiking group will be doing the same hike again Saturday, April 19th too.
Still carrying some Class of 2008 PCT bandanas. The hiking group members are
looking forward to meeting some “real” hikers – you thru-hikers!

On both Saturday hikes, I will arrive to hike south at around 9am. I’ll
probably be back to my car around 1 – 1:30pm.

Checked by AVG.
7:10 AM