[pct-l] Halfdome

Paul paul_c at tuxcnc.org
Wed Apr 9 10:23:11 CDT 2008

On Wednesday 09 April 2008, adrian.borner at ch.abb.com wrote:
> I will start my section hike end of  August in Yosemite Valley around
> mid-day. I was thinking hiking up to Halfdome. The last time I was up
> there is almost 20 years ago. I would love to spend the night up there,
> weather permitting. I could imagine however that officially this may not
> allowed, but there could always be an emergency?!? Anybody has details?

I was up there a little while ago - No camping allowed on top, nor are you
permitted fires. The Little Yosemite camp ground is on the route up, and
although a little crowded during summer months, makes for a nice base camp to
summit the peak from. If you wanted to camp closer to Half Dome, you *might*
get away with a zero impact site below the tree line and away from the path.

 One more point - Lightning strikes are quite common on the top, so you might
want to reconsider even in good weather (afternoon/evening storms roll in
quite quick).

[Side Note] I took a little old granny up there as payback for dragging me
across the moors when I was little - Told her she could have an icecream once
we had been to the top.

Regards, Paul.