[pct-l] Northern Oregon PCT

Steel-Eye chelin at teleport.com
Mon Apr 7 08:11:09 CDT 2008

Good morning, all,

The photos in this link are great, and well illustrate what has happened
this snow season.  Those photos were taken in the 2000'- 4000' range, while
the PCT crosses Mt. Hood at over 6000'.  The last shot - of the "Bump"
sign - is the kind I like because it provides prospective, but with only a
little more snow it would have been covered and the photo would look like
the road shot immediately above.  How many signs are covered in that shot?

One summer over 40 years ago I worked on a USFS engineering crew in the
central Oregon Cascades.  One day we were sent to a specific location on a
road to find the start of a proposed new trail which had been previously
walked by a re-con person, and "flagged" with pieces of bright plastic
ribbon.  Our purpose was to brush out a trail on that flagged line and use
instruments to document the route and its elevations.  Remember, that this
was long before GPS.

We looked for about an hour and could not find the flagging so we spent the
remainder of the day on an alternate project.  Back at the office, we looked
at the original re-con notes and found that the trail had been flagged in
the winter.  The next day we returned to the site and, sure enough, the
flagging was there on tree limbs about 15' - 20' above the then-bare ground.

Steel-Eye