[pct-l] mountain lion sitings on the PCT?

Donna Saufley dsaufley at sprynet.com
Sun Apr 6 20:52:54 CDT 2008

I've been lucky enough to see two mountain lions and one bobcat while out on
various adventures.  One of the mountain lion sightings was close to the
PCT, just below North Fork Ranger Station in Pacoima Canyon. The lion was
drinking from the stream, and bounded up the steep embankment on the other
side when I surprised it.  It was long, lithe, and tawny, and moved so
swiftly and powerfully. I was awestruck.

The bobcat sighting was the best one, though.  The cat took its kill and
went behind some tufts of grass and thought it was hidden from view, while I
could see it plainly, and studied it for a while until I realized it
couldn't finish its meal with me so rudely standing there.

Far from being scary, these are the moments that are the finest and most
memorable of my outdoor adventures.  The pesky squirrel who would not leave
me alone all night at Grouse Meadow, and chewed my hiking pole straps and
sandals, is one wildlife encounter I could have done without.  Damn
squirrel.

L-Rod