[pct-l] Signs for hitchhiking

Georgi Heitman bobbnweav at gmail.com
Sun Apr 6 16:46:51 CDT 2008

Howdy Jeff,
I've no experience as a hitch hiker, but I've heard one or two complaints
the the neckerchief sign might be too small for drivers to read....the
majority feel that Gottago's signs are great, especially in So Cal, where
they are easily recognized by drivers.
As a Trail Angel living in the back of beyond, I automatically brake for
scruffy hiker trash during the 'huker season' if such a thing exists, tho
I'm pretty careful that those smelly people do indeed, look like PCT hikers.
Clean folks in jeans, for example, don't make the cut....but that being
said, I have picked up a hitcher one time many years ago before the PCT was
part of my life....this was in Berkeley, CA...not really a good place for a
woman alone in her car to do that kind of thing.  It was partially the fact
that it was starting to rain, he looked clean cut and nicely dressed, but
the sign he carried did the trick.  It was two words....I'M HARMLESS!
Good Luck...
FireFly