[pct-l] Esbit

Wayne Kraft wayneskraft at comcast.net
Sun Apr 6 14:18:40 CDT 2008

Esbit stoves are widely used and Esbit tablets are my fuel of choice most of
the time.  The tabs are widely available online.  REI and Amazon both sell
them and there is usually someone peddling Esbit on Ebay.  Backpacking Light
sells Esbit and another brand they claim is a bit better.  I haven't tested
them:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/xdpy/ss/Esbit%20Stoves%20&%20Fuel/index.html?criteria=%20&search_clear=1

Your best bet is probably buying them from a store, such as REI' because
shipping the tabs is a problem and adds to the cost.  Due to their
flammability, they must be shipped ground.  This is something you need to
plan for with mailing your resupply packages along the trail.

I have not attempted to purchase Esbit at on-trail locations, but I'd guess
it would be difficult to impossible.  I would be very surprised if you could
purchase Esbit tabs in any Oregon trail towns north of Ashland. Maybe in
Sisters. You might consider a Vargo Triad Titanium Stove (google it --
available from multiple sources) which is designed to burn either esbit or
alcohol.  Gives you another option should you run out of esbit.

Personally, I want a stove that will burn Esbit, alcohol or wood.  Maybe
peanut butter, too.  Wait, maybe it would be more efficient to just eat the
peanut butter and forget the cooking. So many options.