[pct-l] Two questions: KM resupply and creek crossings

Steel-Eye chelin at teleport.com
Sat Apr 5 20:46:25 CDT 2008

Good evening, Diane,

In '07 all the Sierra streams were quite low when I passed in early June,
but two are typically the most troublesome.  1) Evolution Creek ford is at
PCT mile 849.9 located about 11S 341864mE  4118098mN, and,  2) W. Fork, Bear
Creek ford at PCT mile 867.5 located about 11S334539mE  433123mN.  I crossed
both of them 06/08/07 and discussed them in my TrailJournal entry for that
date at:  http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye

Both these crossings are in areas where it is possible to scout up and
downstream for the best opportunity.  There are a bunch of other crossings
which can be very easy or wading projects.  I don't find fording
particularly scary, but I've done so quite a bit.  I advise wearing
something on the feet for protection.  I just wore my shoes to wade.
Approaching a ford I stopped and put my down bag in a heavy-duty garbage
sack along with anything else that had to stay dry - camera, etc.  Loosen
the pack straps, and for sure open the hip belt and sternum strap, if you
use them.  I wear eyeglasses so I also took pains to snug-up their retaining
straps.

I also discussed fording-in-general in my TrailJournal on the page named
"Prep #14".  The link to which I refer is:
http://www.equipped.com/21-76/ch17.pdf  and some of that material is germane
to PCT hiking.

Enjoy your trip,

Steel-Eye