[pct-l] creek crossings

AsABat AsABat at 4Jeffrey.Net
Sat Apr 5 20:21:48 CDT 2008

> 2) Is there any information (similar to that handy info on where the
> water is) on creek crossings in the Sierras, specifically places
> where the creeks are scary to cross and where you might go (up or
> down stream) to find easier/safer crossing? I intend to be there the
> usual time as most thru-hikers, hopefully.

Stream crossing conditions can vary wildly depending on precipitation
and temperature affecting snow melt. The old theory was if it's high in
the afternoon camp and waiting until morning to cross - thinking the
snow will have frozen and the water level dropped. This works up high,
but down low it might take the night hours for yesterday's melt to reach
your location.

Still, the feds do have some general reports on conditions - more a
matter of "there's snow up there" or "water levels are high." For
example:

http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/inyo/conditions/ and click on the Recreation
Reports for the different districts.

I thought Sequoia-Kings Canyon had this but a quick check I didn't find
it.

As for where to cross, just looking around may reveal a small use trail
leading to a better crossing.

If a river is really scary, consider other options. For example, after
Pinchot Pass the trail passes some lakes, crosses some creeks coming
from the Taboose Pass area, and then drops to South Fork Kings River.
During high snow melt this can look like wild white water rapids.
Looking at the map reveals that the PCT crosses to the west side of the
river, ascends a couple miles to Upper Basin, and then crosses back to
the east side of the river. It is possible to water up the east side of
the river (staying above the meadow near the trees for low impact) and
rejoining the trail at the next crossing. (I did this in 1998.)

AsABat