[pct-l] Blinded by the light (sleeping bags)

Barry Teschlog tokencivilian at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 2 14:27:32 CDT 2008

For light down sleeping bags, check out (in no particular order):

  www.nunatakusa.com

  http://www.featheredfriends.com/

  On my PCT trip in 06, I used a Marmot Arryo 30 degree, which I was very pleased with (despite it being several years old before the trip).  I hear the Helium and Hydrogen are highly rated and are lighter than the Arryo.  If you can use a 40 degree bag in combination with a down jacket, the Atom at 1 lb looks promising.

  Western Mountaineering - I saw lots of those out there and everyone spoke highly of their warmth to weight ratio.

  If you check out the above product lines, you should be able to find something that is close to / matches the specs of the GG product.

  When choosing a bag rating, do take into account other insulation you'll carry - a down puffy jacket or vest will significantly increase your comfort on cold nights.  I carried a FF Hyperion Vest (~7.5 ounces) on the trail.  There were times I wish I had a jacket, so I've since acquired a FF Hyperion Jacket (~11 ounces), which is VERY puffy and warm.

  TC

  David Wrote:

After seeing Glen's movie about going toward the light  enough times, I finally decided to take some definite  steps... ordered a Rainbow from Henry Shires... went  to GossamerGear to order a sleeping bag, and found  that  they are not currently available there.    What did the class of 2008 do instead for very light  weight down sleeping?     As a section hiker I can be  flexible with down in the nice sections and synthetic  in  the north cascades... though it's even better to be  able to not go unless good weather is forecast.