[pct-l] medical kit

Jeffrey Olson jolson at olc.edu
Wed Apr 2 12:07:24 CDT 2008

Amanda's question makes me chuckle at my own cavalier attitude towards a
medical kit.

I carry five or six butterflies, ibuprofen, naprosin, benedryl, and a
couple oxycontin to get me out of the wilderness if need be.  I have
about four feet of duct tape wrapped around a hiking pole.  I carry two
traditional bandannas that I use for everything, including a sling if
necessary, tourniquet, etc.

I seem to constantly cut and poke and stab myself, but have never needed
the butterflies, let alone a wound closer.  I ran up against an inch and
a half stub of a twig that buried itself in my calf.  Just kept it
clean.  I have sprained my ankle, and luckily was only six miles from a
trailhead - after two hours of soaking it in a spring and eating
ibuprofen til the pain was backgrounded enough to hike with a crutch.
That's why I now carry enough oxycontin for 24 hours.

The alcohol for my stove (when I'm cooking food) once served as a means
to clean a wound.  I guess I don't mind scars.  I also guess I've never
hurt myself enough to need more medical gear than the above.  When
hiking alone, the best medicine for me has been to stay within shouting
distance of the trail - the help of others and my painkillers...

Jeff, just Jeff...