[pct-l] Mountain Stream Crossings Re: Mt Adams Stream Crossings

George Mendonsa mendonsa at pacbell.net
Sun Sep 16 19:29:38 CDT 2007

On  the PCT near Mt Hood the trail comes down to a stream that is fed by a
glacier. The guide book recommended crossing in the morning, earlier the
better. This is because  the water release  from glaciers slows down at
night and builds up during the day. Such crossings (Anywhere - not just the
PCT) should be approached with care, because upstream there can be ice dams
with debre built up at night. In the mornining stream may appear to be low
or slowly building up. The sun the  in the morning (and possible rains at
higher elevation at night) can cause succeding higher up ice dams to fail.
The combination of these succesive masses and momentum may may result in the
first major clearing of the river or stream bed.  This can be catastrophic
to the unwary person or vehicles near or on the "stream".  The problem is
that you really can have no warning at all  except what may appear  to be,
if any thing,  a slow increase in stream depth. When, BAM!, you and your
pack (or vehicle ) are hit with a wall of water up to your neck or above and
nowhere to go!

This is exactly what happen to a girlfriend of a  hiker that I met at the
above crossing a couple of years ago. The hiker was mourning the loss of his
girl friend from two years before whose body was swept two miles down
stream.

Message -----