[pct-l] Giaridia and treatment

Tom Bache tbache at san.rr.com
Fri Sep 14 14:07:39 CDT 2007

Glad to see that there are other people who drink the delicious back country
water the way the pioneers did.  I posted on this a couple months ago, but
the only response was from people lamenting the loss of the old days when
they would dip their cup into the streams and drink.  My point was that the
water isn¹t different from those old days --  but .... shouldn¹t
underestimate the power of scare stories (bet I¹d get a long thread started
if I drew an analogy with global warming, but I won¹t).

On point -- Jeff¹s note tells the story the way I understand it, but  I have
observed that many people consider untreated back country water to be like
poison.  I used to believe that too, but then looked up the facts and quit
treating except in obviously sketchy situations.  No problems so far.  Maybe
my immunity is a personal quirk, or maybe it¹s not.  Those who always treat
and never have problems can¹t know that treating is having any effect until
they do the experiment (any takers?).

I bought a Steripen (great product) for those few sketchy situations.  This
treats  by stirring the water in your bottle with a rod including a UV light
source.  Seems to me that water that spends time in bright sunlight is
getting much the same treatment.

To me, pushing your face into cold mountain springs and streams is part of
the fun of backpacking.  Filters and chemicals, and even Steripen, are a
hassle and intrusion.

Tom Bache
San Diego

Message: 5