[pct-l] Trail Humor

hiker97 at aol.com hiker97 at aol.com
Sat Sep 8 12:13:04 CDT 2007

Unsupported Reinhold writes: DOWN? BOYS.......DOWN? BOYS.......I know the hiking season is almost over, everybody is getting nervous and tensions are running high......where is all the backpacking camaraderie and brotherly love?

Where are you Switchback???......We need some comedy & trail humor to put everybody in a better frame of mind. Give us your best stuff and you better make it quick!!!
Switchback replies:?Normally, I do not post hiking humor over at the PCT-L, but over at PostHoler.com and my forum Switchback Unchained.? But as a public service I offer the following.? I thank you.
The old backpacker, Rough & Ready, goes hiking on the PCT with his dog, Snack Bar.

One day in camp, Snack Bar, starts chasing butterflies and before long discovers that he's lost. Wandering about, he notices a mountain lion heading rapidly in his direction with the intention of having lunch.

Old Snack Bar thinks, "Oh, oh! I'm in deep doo-doo now!" Noticing some bones on the ground close by, he immediately settles down to chew on the bones with his back to the approaching cat.

Just as the lion is about to leap Snack Bar exclaims loudly, "Boy, that was one delicious mountain lion! I wonder if there are any more around here?"

Hearing this, the young lion halts his attack in mid-strike, a look of terror comes over him and he slinks away into the trees. "Whew!", says the lion, "That was close! That old backpacker dog nearly had me!"?

Meanwhile, a marmot who had been watching the whole scene from a nearby rock, figures he can put this knowledge to good use and trade it for protection from the lion.

So off he goes, but the old dog sees him heading after the lion with great speed, and figures that something must be up. The marmot soon catches up with the mountain lion, spills the beans and strikes a deal for himself with the lion.

The young lion is furious at being made a fool of and says, "Here, marmot, hop on my back and see what's going to happen to that conniving canine!"

Now, the old dog sees the lion coming with the marmot on his back and thinks, "What am I going to do now?" But instead of running, the dog sits down with his back to his attackers, pretending he hasn't seen them yet. Just when they get close enough to hear, the old dog says,

"Where's that darn marmot? I sent him off an hour ago to bring me another mountain lion!"?

Moral of this story....Don't mess with old backpackers or their dogs. Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill.