[pct-l] Admin Note. Was: off List postings

Brick Robbins brick at fastpack.com
Mon Oct 29 14:57:09 CDT 2007

On 10/29/07, JoAnn <jomike at cot.net> wrote:
> But, I do have a question.
>
> What is the forum/list etiquette on posting "conversations" publicly? When
> you speak to a list member off line, i.e., their personal address, should
> you be able to expect it would stay private? When you post anything on line
> of course you open yourself up to everyone anyone on this list.

There are only 2 "rules" on this list.

Rule 1)
No Flaming. Roughly, this means no personal attacks on another list member.
Here is a pretty good description of a flame
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flaming_%28Internet%29

Rule 2)
Your post must be PCT related somehow. hiking, riding, planning,
maintenance, threats, fires, floods, whatever....

That is it. No other rules.

I can't spends loads of time trying to enforce common courtesy, so I
won't even try. There are rude people in the world. Expect them to try
to piss you off. Try not to let them.

That being said, if one posts to forums, one will find that obeying
the rules of "Netiquette" will make one's life simpler, and less
frustrating.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netiquette

> What should I expect (if anything) when writing, off line, to someone with a
> relationship to this list?

You can expect most people to be civil and nice, just like in real life.

You can also expect some to be inconsiderate jerks.

You can even expect some people to post inflammatory, evil posts that
you just HAVE to respond to: those are the Trolls, you should ignore
them.

Personally, I never write anything privately that I would be upset if
it were posted to the whole list.

As Richard Bach wrote in Illusions:
"Live never to be ashamed if anything you say or do is published
around the world,
even if what is said is not true. "