[pct-l] Hiking alone

Denis Stanton denisstanton at mac.com
Sat Oct 27 21:45:30 CDT 2007

On 28/10/2007, at 12:18 PM, Greg Kesselring wrote:

> Why is someone using the word "paranoid" considered rude??  It's
> just a word that describes a state of mind.

Actually it's a word that describes a mental disorder, a subtype of
schizophrenia, according to the definitions found by a Google search
for "define: paranoid". From this definition I can quite understand
how someone could be offended at the implication.

The word has become commonly used by people not intending to be rude
and I'm sure that the original poster on pct-l intended it in a non-
offensive way.  She might have said "excessive caution"

Denis