[pct-l] Planning for a hike

Paul Magnanti pmags at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 26 14:02:34 CDT 2007

>>Is there  anything like that that's been researched for hiking long distances?

WEll, there's all kinds of planning. When I think of planning for a thru-hike, I do not think of a daily plan. Rather, I think of the whole process.

Planning the kind of gear I am going to use, what kind of food am I going to take/eat, a rough idea of my pace, etc.

I am, admittedly, a planner by nature. OTOH, I think any LD hiker who goes on a long hike without ANY kind of planning is opening themselves up for what could be a rather more interesting hike than originally anticipated.

Of course, where on the spectrum of your own personal 6Ps (I prefer the 7Ps. :D) depends on each hiker.

Some have meticulous spread sheets; some pick up a guide book a week before the hike and call it good. For each hiker, it IS proper planning.

Ultimately, I think an LD hiker needs an odd combo of stubbornness (I AM going to hike the Sierra this year as planned ) and flexibility (but there is lots of snow this year, I think I'll skip ahead and come back!).

>>If I have to think about training, I tend not
>>to do it.
To me, that is part of the proper planning. A LD hiker does not have to be in marathon shape, but being in general good shape before a long hike tends to make the hike more enjoyable than getting in shape on the trail.

As Brick said YMMV, just my .02, HYOH, BINGO, etc...

--Thoreau
http://www.pmags.com