[pct-l] Was great quote, now planning a hike

Jeffrey Olson jolson at olc.edu
Fri Oct 26 13:41:27 CDT 2007

The first time I planned a long section hike - 75 days in 1992 - it took
my girlfriend and I a full six weeks to gather food, plan drops, put
food in boxes, label them for my folks to mail, etc.  Now, I don't buy
food til a week or so before the hike, spend three or four hours bagging
it and then a couple hours labeling and boxing the bags.  Granted, this
is not a full 130 day hike, but last time it was about half that, and
the times are accurate.

I especially liked the time spent in the months prior to buying the food
figuring out what I wanted to eat, calories I needed during what week -
the first two weeks I needed far less food than the following weeks -
making a master list, organizing my gear a couple times, and generally
positioning myself at the brink of leaving one life for another.

Nowadays, as I get older and it's harder to get in and and stay in
shape, I'm starting my section hikes with a much higher likelihood of
having to drop out - I had a sprained ankle cut my six week trip to a
week last summer, and that was due to being overweight.  My pack has
been getting lighter and lighter - my base is now about 12 pounds.
However, planning will have to include a much more self-disciplined
"getting in shape" period starting at least three months prior to
starting a hike.

I have friends who run marathons and their training regimen is cut and
dry.  There are all sorts of charts/calendars out there.  Is there
anything like that that's been researched for hiking long distances?
Not being 28 any more is very wonderful, except in certain cases like
long distance hiking...  If I have to think about training, I tend not
to do it.

Jeff, just Jeff
Martin, SD (The flyover zone)