[pct-l] Nikon D40X

Barry Teschlog tokencivilian at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 25 16:59:34 CDT 2007

Another option to buying a chest pack is to make one yourself.  I carried a digital "SLR Like" camera last year - a Fuji FinePix S5200.  About the size of a SLR with a 2 1/2 to 3" long lens protrusion from the front (I'm not a photographer - I just wanted nice pics of my hike - the optics on this camera did the trick).

  I cut up an army surplus sleeping pad (dense 1/2" thick foam) and used duct tape to form a box that would snugly enclose the camera (oriented lens down).  Using that foam box as my template, I then sewed a sil-nylon sheath around that, with straps on either side for the attachment to the pack.  Use doubler patches for high stress areas such as the sides where the straps attach.  The lid was made seperately with padding sewed into in and then attached to the main body resulting in a fully padded, fitted and extremly light case.  I seam sealed the stitching.  While not water proof, it was highly water resistant.

  On my pack shoulder straps, right where the sternum strap was, I tied a couple small loops of cord for the clips on either side of the camera case to attach to.

  This was an easy project to do for minimal expense.

  By the end of the hike, the case was showing some wear, especially at the bottom edge where it would rub against my belly.  I might go up one grade on the fabric if I were to do it again.  I'd also move the straps on the sides a little further forward and a smidge higher to improve the balance of the case.

http://mail.yahoo.com