[pct-l] Hunters!

Dena Van Derveer pikahiker at gmail.com
Mon Oct 15 20:37:52 CDT 2007

It's pretty complicated -- bow season opens first.
Deer season map:
http://www.dfg.ca.gov/licensing/pdffiles/2007HuntingDigest-BigGamePages32-33.pdf

And although deer season is what we all think about for "hunting",
license/tags are also given for other game, too (bear, pig, elk,
pronghorn), and birds, especially quail. Think shotgun.
If you really want to plough through all the info for your particular
area, the big game info is here (note that dates will change next
fall):
http://www.dfg.ca.gov/regulations/07-08-mammal-regs.pdf

I like hiking in the fall (less crowded, great fall foliage, and crisp
weather), but it's definitely unnerving hearing those shots. Saturday
mornings and Sunday afternoons seem to have the most activity,
especially near roads. Most hunters I've talked to have been pretty
nice -- hunting seems to be an excuse to go camping with a few buddies
for the weekend. I have an international orange (painfully bright)
silnylon stuff sack that goes on top of my pack (viewable from back,
front and sides) when I hike. And, if you hike with a dog, you might
consider putting an orange vest or collar on the dog, too.
--Pika