[pct-l] Thru Hikers

montypct montypct at gmail.com
Mon Oct 8 17:16:15 CDT 2007

Andrea Dinsmore Wrote?

>Where's your updated journal Monty ???

Andrea
I've never been able to write while on the trail.  I'm home now.
Here's my current journal for the Couch to Fridge.
(Oh yeah. there's closing words at for the PCT www.trailjournals.com/wsmonty)

Hiking The Couch to Fridge Trail.  (trail journal)

"The thru-hiker seeks not so much the spiritual experience of the Great American Wilderness as that of a 7 Eleven chili dog."

                                                   ©montytamMAY2004PCTthru-hike

(Oct. 1, 2007)

I finished my PCT thru-hike September 22nd.  Although the Pacific Crest Trail was a beautiful and challenging hike, this is the hike I most looked forward to this year, "The Couch to Fridge".  A few days ago, I got a ride from the airport to the trailhead (Home) in a 1970 Ford 1/2 ton pickup.  The trip was rough from the start.  NO AIR CONDITIONING!!!  However we were able to overcome this obstacle by cranking, yes, old school survival technique, cranking down the windows.

When we reached the trailhead (my home), I realized I had made a great error.  I could not find the Couch to Fridge Trail!
I don't own a Couch!   Instead of giving up I immediately found a similar terminus as those road walking to Canada are doing at this very moment.  The Lazy-Boy!  Seeing I am on a solo hike, and it adjusts between sleeping and eating mode (using a TV tray accessory) this will meet all the warm, safe, fed and dry requirements and be a suitable replacement for a couch.
Besides..... it weighs less!

The Route:
Last Spring a great storm hit my home as it did most other thru-hiker's homes.  The thru-hiker-leaving-at-the-last-minute tornado devastated most of the trail leaving boxes, gear, and Lipton noodles scattered everywhere.  Not that I'm trying to crank any sort of miles here, but this does slow things down a bit.  In some places the trail is closed.  I have had to bushwhack and find alternates and reroutes.  Over the past few days I have learned to turn left then right, turn right then left, and the far more advanced, left right right left, and right left left right.  Luckily there haven't been any major step-overs yet.

(Oct.2, 2007)

Trail maintenance in this place has been awful.  It will probably be weeks before it even gets started.  No funding has been appropriated for maid service.  I'd volunteer, but I'm too into this hike right now.

(Oct.3, 2007)

Went to town to resupply.  $200.00 including the freezer cache. This included 8 half gallons of Breyer's (on sale), chocolate syrup, strawberries, and two large cans of whipped cream, frozen pizzas, steaks, burgers, chicken, hot dogs, soda pop, REAL coffee, tons and tons of food......................................
Inexperienced at planning this sort of hike, I hope I bought enough toilet paper to go with this much food.

(Oct 4, 2007)

Other problems:
Leave no Trace issues

Dishes are piling up in the kitchen sink.
Towels and dirty clothes are scattered on the floors.
Waste baskets are full and I see no sign of them being emptied even if the start overflowing.
I found my orange shovel, but the floors are all too hard to dig cat holes.

(Oct.5, 2007)

I often camp on trail at the Lazy-Boy terminus, but, mostly, I camp off trail on a queen-size sleeping matt using a quilt.
The bedding is all cotton, but this should be fairly safe as long as I don't wet it.............. I mean it doesn't get wet.  This is a good off trail camp, but sometimes I have trouble making it back to the main trail in the morning.

Today I feel an urge to push myself.  I set a goal for this hike.  Well, I know it's late in the season, but I am determined to follow the steps of Scott Williamson, but in relation to this trail.  Yes.  You got it.  Most YoYo's.  Couch to Fridge.

(Oct. 6, 2007)

Zero

San Marcos, CA

Movie and Town Food (San Diego Mexican food!!  At Last!!!!!)

(Oct. 7, 2007)

Zero at the Beach

La Jolla, CA

Solar therapy to remove hiker tan lines.

(Oct 8, 2007)

I've been thinking about doing an online trail journal, but that seems like too much work.  Same for doing dishes or taking showers.  If I get a hiking partner, though, I might consider the shower thing.  Some women are sticklers about that type of stuff.  Sometimes you just can't hike your own hike.

©montytamOCT2007postPCTthru-hike