[pct-l] Thru Hikers

Steel-Eye chelin at teleport.com
Mon Oct 8 15:06:38 CDT 2007

My scroungy-hiker story occurred this summer when I resupplied at Sierra City.  I wanted to get in and out of town and back on the trail quickly, and not being the cleanest nor best smelling person, I hoped I could do so without offending the delicate sensibilities of the tourists.  The general store was almost empty while I selected my food, but by the time I was ready to checkout, a bunch of other people had already queued up.  I was crowded in line between a middle-aged tourist lady ahead of me, and a local teenaged girl behind.  The girl had a loud, mouth driven by what is probably a room-temperature IQ, and soon she said, "HEY, where's that SMELL coming from?"   I had nowhere to go so I just gritted my teeth and waited for what was probably coming. She leaned up really close to me sniffing, then looked beyond and said, "THERE IT IS!" pointing to the tourist, "THAT LADY has PIZZA!"

She didn't seem to notice, or didn't care, how bad I smelled, but I'll bet if I had had a mozzarella stick in my hand and some sauce on my beard she would have jumped me on the spot.

Steel-Eye, who now smells considerably better.