[pct-l] Backpacker and the JMT

Ned Tibbits ned at mountaineducation.com
Thu Nov 29 14:19:27 CST 2007

Recently, it has come to our attention that Backpacker Magazine ran a long series of articles on "How to hike the JMT; The Sierra's sweetest 221 miles are calling. Here's your plan."

In general, it promotes hiking it in 7-10 days at "22 miles a day without killing themselves." The author and a few others "fastpacked" it in 7 just to see if they could do it.  They all suffered.

I offer this subject back up to you all:   BUT, WHY??

If you want to hike fast and light for the physical challenge, by all means, go for it!  If you like the challenge of seeing just how "ultralight" you can go by various methods and choices in equipment, food, and technique and you can accept the practical consequences of doing so, some leading to the suffering the author and his friends experienced, once again, by all means, go for it!  It's your life to enjoy it as you wish.  HYOH...

I understand we don't usually get enough time off work to hike something long, end-to-end at an individual's mileage rate that would allow for practical comfort and safety.  Why not, then, choose a shorter route or do just part of the JMT?

"Fastpacking" and "ultralight" are simply methods or styles of travel that can be chosen by hikers to help them accomplish their purposes of venturing into the Wilderness. This style is the current trend, as we see it, here at Mountain Education, but not the only choice available to eager hikers excited to get into the mountains or get away from it all.

This brings up the style-choice subject of Hikers vs. Campers.
    The hiker is out there to hike, go from point here to there, focused on "the                 going" experience, to see it all.
    The camper also hikes, but is additionally interested in the whole lifestyle of
        backpacking, from the hot breakfast in sleepingbag, leisurely pack up and
        out, frequent stops during the day to enjoy self in/and the mountains, to the
        earlier campsite, dinner, review-the-day-talking time. The camper enjoys
        camping and hikes from one camping experience to the next, enjoying the
        leisurely hike in-between.
One is not better than the other; they are just different styles of wilderness experience. HYOH.

But without this counterpoint to fastpacking the JMT, is Backpacker promoting it?

One of the advantages of reading accurate history or being old enough to have experienced something in the distant past is gaining the perspective the comparison between the past and the present brings.  The subject of "How to Experience the Wilderness and its lifestyle" is an old one, oft written by many authors and even past Presidents.  How you choose to experience it, the hiking/camping style of your choice will have its own rewards and consequences.

    - Before you go, know yourself well.  Go on many short and long hikes. Try
        different styles, equipment, food.  Decide how to HYOH. Get in shape by
        doing exactly what you will be doing so you don't get ignorantly hurt and
        have to quit.
    - Why am I going and how do I want to go. Know your motives so you won't
        become disillusioned and quit.
    - Don't blindly adopt what works for one as it may not functionally "work" for you         to make your trip pleasurable and safe.

    - Once you know what you want to do (hike the PCT) and why,
    - have experienced the different ways of doing it (tested your self, systems, and         styles on prep trips),
    - know where you're going and how you're going to get there (maps, equipment,         resupplies, reliable partners, skill training, food that works for you at elevation         and exertion etc...),
    - then enjoy your journey!  May you be successful and discover all there is for             you.

Roughly 75% of all people who attempt the trail end-to-end decide they have to leave it. Their reasons vary from fatigue, disillusionment, and loneliness, to joint injury, altitude sickness, weather-related discomforts, and fatality.

The pleasure you get from your individual journey is, in part, directly proportional to the thoroughness of your preparation.

This adventure will have a huge effect on your life; don't romanticize it or go into it ignorantly carried along by another's excitement. Educate and prepare your self.

Food for thought...

Mtnned

For Information on Programs, previous Trips, and Photo Gallery,

Please visit: www.mountaineducation.com