[pct-l] cold in the a.m.??

Steel-Eye chelin at teleport.com
Tue Nov 27 21:18:07 CST 2007

Good evening, JoAnn,

That's a very fair question, and there are several answers as to why it works .. at least for me.  The part of the answer that applies to early AM and late PM is I don't spend time just hanging around camp. Activity is the key, so in the morning I get up, quickly pack, then hit the trail.  It may be chilly at first, but I'll be comfortable in less than 10 minutes and fully warm in 20.  Breakfast is an hour or so away.  Similarly, in the evening I hike late and when I do camp I place my ground cloth, pad, and bag, then crawl in to review the maps, write my journal entry, and quickly go to sleep.  I don't want to carry an extra pound .. or two, or three .. just to be a bit more comfortable for 10 minutes morning and night.

Another reason is, I accept the fact that there will be times when I will be cold, just as there are times when I'm hot, thirsty, hungry, wet, tired, weary, dirty, lonesome, in pain, or mentally stressed:  It comes with the territory.

Steel-Eye