[pct-l] cold in the a.m.??

g l gailpl2003 at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 27 18:52:51 CST 2007

Ditto.  Your technique is almost identical to mine.  I eat breakfast while still in my bag, then pack up and go.  (I don't cook on the trail)  Whatever jacket I'm wearing when I start hiking, if I get too warm, I've learned to slip out of it an arm at a time, while still hiking and still carrying my pack.  Then I just leave it on my back, between my pack and my person and slip it back on when cold or when stopping for a break.

Wheeew

Jerry Goller <jerrygoller at backpackgeartest.org> wrote:     I stay warm because coming out of the bag is the last thing I do.  I'll have eaten breakfast and packed everything up. The last things to go into  their stuff bags are my pad and bag. I hop outside and take the tent down  then everything goes into my sled. I put my snowshoes on and take my down jacket  off. My rain jacket and pants go on and I'm off.

 Even when it is -20F I don't need the jacket. I just wear a vest  or mid-weight top and a rain suit. I generate enough heat to keep me  warm.

 I probably should also point out that I prefer to stay slightly  cool when I working like that. When I stop the rain jacket comes off, the down  goes on, then frequently the jacket goes back on. It depends on how cold it is  and how long I'm going to be stopped.

 By the time the sun comes up here it is usually up to -15F or so  and I don't need as much insulation, as long as I'm moving.

 If the weather is bad and it's really cold (-25F or so) then I put  a tent up when I stop for lunch and have a hot meal in my bag.

 Essentially, I'm either in my bag or moving.

 Jerry

 http://www.BackpackGearTest.org : the  most comprehensive interactive gear reviews and tests on the  planet.