[pct-l] Switchback Record Attempts Public Announcements

g l gailpl2003 at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 27 07:03:34 CST 2007

Ah, once again we drag Reinhold kicking and screaming from the bushes!!  ;-)
Don't be such a stranger!  We (well, at least "I") miss your humor!

And Switchback, I for one, would hesitate to have Catra urge you on......from what I can glean from her site, she could kick all of our hinnies (sp?) on just about any trail.  (Except a thru on the PCT).  Might make you look bad........

Instead I recommend having Oprah or Kirstie there, so that you "appear" fast by comparison......just trying to help.

Wheeew

Reinhold Metzger <reinholdmetzger at cox.net> wrote: SWITCHBACK,
Your Grand Canyon rim-to-rim-to-rim to break Meadow Ed's record sounds
interesting.
By the way what is Meadow Ed's record?
I have done the rim-to-rim-to-rim a couple of times in one day.
Each time I started before sun-rise and finished after sun-set.
Great endurance challenge....just shy of 50 miles with 10,600 feet of
elevation rise & drop
and extreme heat.
It will be a good tune up, after your knee surgery, for a hard core
hiker like you.
May I suggest you do it on Memorial Day to lessen the probability of
substantially above
100 degree summer temperatures and to ensure the north rim trails are
not closed due to snow.
The north rim does not open until Memorial Day.
May I further suggest you do it via the North Kaibab & Bright Angel
Trails instead the North
& South Bass Trails so you can cross the Colorado River via the
suspension bridge instead of
swimming across the river at Bass Rapids.

Now the unsupported JMT record, that is another matter.
Will you be going north or south?
It is important that I know that so I can have  ''Paramedics'' with
stretchers waiting for you at mile 3.

On second thought I think I will have  ''Angelina''  or  ''Catra''
waiting for you instead to urge you on
and  motivate you to bring back the unsupported JMT  to the Backpacker
Community were it belongs.
I'm sure, with   ''Angelina''   and   ''Catra''  on your mind, you will
have no trouble bringing home the
unsupported JMT.

    JMT Reinhold
    aka  ''The Canyon Rat''.