[pct-l] Illegal food storage fines

Brick Robbins brick at fastpack.com
Sat Nov 24 02:32:53 CST 2007

On Nov 23, 2007 1:44 PM,  <Slyatpct at aol.com> wrote:
>  sheilaquinlan at hotmail.com writes:
> I think it's probably an okay risk to take in my opinion, just make sure you
> have your PCT permit to back up the fact that you're a thru hiker.

Oh... I am sooo glad Tom Reynolds is not still on the list, or we'd be
having another bear can war.

In the southern Sierra, in Sequoia/Kings National Park (SE/KI) there
are ample fixed Bear Boxes that you can use for legal food storage:
you DO NOT need to carry a bear can in these areas, by anyone's rules
as long as you camp by a box.

Just tell the Rangers you are using the Bear Boxes. How you answer
their questions has a lot to do with if you get a ticket. This summer
I got a permit from Yosemite valley to Duck Lake along the JMT with
stating I had no bear cannister by saying I was using the Bear Boxes,
and "yes I was hiking a 30+ mile day." No bears got my food, so I
guess I was using appropriate food storage methods

Once you leave the last SE/KI bear box at Woods Creek Crossing the
next bear box northbound you find is in Reds Meadow Campground about
110 miles, then the next one is at Toulomne Meadows 30+  miles, so
unless you can do REALLY long days, you need to have "proper food
storage" for these two stretches, which may or may not be a bear can,
depending on exactly where you are and who is interpreting the rules.

Most of this section is in Inyo National Forest, which as far as I can
tell is the most anal about use of bear cans of any of the
jurisdictions. How likely are meet an Inyo NF ranger? Probably not
likely on a thru hiker schedule.

I'm not that sure of particulars north of Toulomne. I think the last
bear box is at Glen Aulin. Does anyone know the legal particulars
north of Yosemite NP?

Brick