[pct-l] swiss knife re scissors

Judith G twolegs at roadrunner.com
Mon Nov 19 13:32:18 CST 2007

In the matter of choosing between separate pieces of gear, and having
a single multi-tool knife, I prefer the separate pieces of gear.

I primarily need scissors for cutting tough stuff like moleskin, so I
carry a small fine pair of fingernail scissors (actually the blunt-
end, straight blade type used to trim  nose hair) and keep it with my
foot-care supplies.  I am not able to cut moleskin with a tiny
scissor like the Swiss army knife kind because of arthritis in my
fingers, but the real point is if I lost a Swiss army knife, I would
lose my one blade plus all the other things I need on it.  So I
choose to carry sharp little scissors with the foot care supplies,
and a small spool of dental floss with my personal hygiene supplies
(dental floss serves just as well as a toothpick for my needs, plus
it can be used as sewing thread too), plus a lexan knife in my food
bag for slicing cheese and spreading peanut butter, and finally a
tiny but completely adequate single-blade knife on a string with my
photon light (and a quarter-sized washer for opening my Garcia bear
canister when I'm carrying it.)

If I lose that little knife (and I have), then I still have my other
gear in other places and I'm not completely helpless in the cutting
and spreading department.

This is offered only as a thinking point for anyone still trying to
make this sort of decision ... YMMV, HYOH, etc.

Two Legs