[pct-l] Womens Shoes

Kent Spring kjssail at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 19 02:55:12 CST 2007

Hi Kim -

    The earlier posts were not all from men - the
thread was certainly not just for "Men's Shoes."
Indeed, Doodlebug - whose note I helped post - is a
woman, and I re-posted her message about Montrails
below.
    I would also recommend reading some of the
comments that Yogi puts in her trailguide, although,
since they are by trailnames (mostly) it is hard to
tell which are from men or from women.
    I've been wearing NB 907's and found them -
especially with the "Dirty Girl Gaiters" to be fine
for my (male) feet.  However, I weigh over 200 (which
I think is more relevant with shoes, than my being a
man), and have found that the 907's are not as long
lived as I would like - the support has gone out of
them in under 500 miles.

Cheers, and have a great hike -  Kent

"I second Mags comments about Montrails- I got my
first pair while hiking the AT- and I have been
wearing them ever since. I am on pair 6? I think. I
typically get 500-600 miles out of a pair- at some
point, my feet start to hurt more and I know it's time
for new shoes.
   Some folks can wear them til they fall apart, but
once all the cushioning starts to break down I want
new ones.
   I don't like the Hardrocks personally- tho a lot of
folks do. I supinate (roll outward) pretty badly- so I
wear the Montrail Vitesse.  It has a little knobby
dealy on the outside of the foot that controls that
some. I have tried on other models of Montrails and
other brands, but I haven't found anything that feels
as natural to my foot as the Vitesse. so if it ain't
broke...

anyway- my two cents!

Doodlebug"

I will be hiking the pct next year and can hardly
wait!! 2008!! whoo hoo! Now that i got that out.
 I had a few questions about shoes. I've been lurking
for about a year now and know that this is a
 great source of information. A few weeks ago there
was disscusion of MENs shoes. what about
 womens shoes? does anyone know anything about the New
Balance 907? I tried them on and they feel
 great.
 lots of toe room and a sturdy heel. my question is,
are these shoes suitable for the dessert
 section?
I also tried the New Balance 873. They fit well too,
but i was concerned that they may have to
 much mesh allowing to much dirt/sand through them. I
plan on wearing lightweight gaiters so this
 may
 alleviate the situation? any feedback would be
greatly appreciated! :)

Kim
2008, and can't wait!!