[pct-l] Timberline Lodge to Government Camp

Wayne Kraft wayneskraft at comcast.net
Sun Nov 18 22:49:45 CST 2007

While it is true that Timberline Lodge is three miles by trail from
Government Camp, keep in mind you'll loose 3100' in elevation.  I have not
hiked this trail, but it seemed pretty steep on cross-country skis in
winter.  I ran down the road once and that was plenty steep enough.
Speaking of which, keep in mind that hundreds and hundreds of runners will
be leaving the Timberline Lodge parking lot 8/22/08-8/23/08 in waves to
commence the 197 mile Hood-to-Coast Relay by running first to Government
Camp.  Ordinarily I would say that bumming a ride wouldn't be too hard, but
that weekend the place is chaos.  A thousand teams of 12 runners each in two
vans per team are involved.  The first leg begins at Timberline, so expect
500 vans to come and go in two days and, for the most part, they are full of
runners and gear and won't be able to take an extra rider.