[pct-l] womens shoes - NB 907's

Greg Kesselring gkesselr at whidbey.com
Sun Nov 18 16:55:07 CST 2007

I would not hesitate to use them in the Sierras.  Most of my hiking has
been in Washington State however.  But most of that has been near and
above timberline with lots of off-trail that includes some summer
snowfields.  The off-trail hiking is sometimes on dirt, sometmes grassy
meadow, sometimes gravel, scree, or boulder fields.  So I've used these
guys in all kinds of terrain.    Note that like any shoe with a fabric
top, if you spend a lot of time on snow, that fabric will eventually get
wet.  Gaiters will help though.  And the wet fabric dries really fast.

I use short gaiters to keep trail debris, small rocks and such, as well
as snow from getting into the shoes around the ankle area.  Take a look
at these:

http://www.dirtygirlgaiters.com/

Traction-wise, boots may offer more traction on snow (that would depend
on the design of the sole of the boot), but I haven't felt it necessary
to switch over to boots when I know I'm going to be crossing significant
snowfields.  I do hike with poles, though, and that adds quite a bit of
stability on snow and anywhere else where traction and balance are
essential.

Like you, I need width in the toe box.  I believe my feet actually
measure a "d" width, but my 907's are "ee" width and they work great for
me.  The extra room in the toe area is useful not only for giving my
previously inured toe joint the room it needs, but it also lets me hike
with two socks, a liner and a regular sock.  I'm using injinji's for the
liner and smart wool for the outer sock.

I removed the footbed liner that the 907's came with and replaced with
spenco insoles for extra cushioning AND superfeet for whatever the heck
they are supposed to be good for.  If you're going to do something like
that (add different and/or extra inserts and also wear thicker socks),
then you'll need to plan for that when you buy the shoes and make sure
they have enough room for all that extra stuff.

The injinji's have been great at preventing all between-the-toe blisters.

Greg