[pct-l] Some So. Cal Forest Closures to Remain through November 2008

Donna "L-Rod" Saufley dsaufley at sprynet.com
Sat Nov 17 09:17:19 CST 2007

In the L.A. Times this morning:

Closures planned in 4 national forests in California

Portions of the Angeles, Cleveland, Los Padres and San Bernardino forests will be given a year or longer to recover from fires.

By Janet Wilson, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer
November 17, 2007

Popular areas of four national forests in Southern California that burned last month could be closed for a year or longer because of threats from smoldering hot spots, flash floods and erosion, and to allow damaged habitat and wildlife to recover, U.S. Forest Service officials said.

The closures, announced over the last week, affect thousands of acres of the Angeles, Cleveland, Los Padres and San Bernardino national forests, which are among the most highly used public lands in the nation.

Related Stories
- What is off-limits

Forest-wide closures that were imposed after the fires have been lifted, but nearly half of the Cleveland National Forest, which stretches from the Mexican border through Orange and Riverside counties, will remain closed, some of it for a year, officials said.

The Harding and Maple Springs truck trails and other heavily used weekend recreation routes will be off-limits in the Cleveland National Forest until mid-November 2008.

In the Angeles National Forest, the Rowher Flat off-highway vehicle and Drinkwater Flat areas, affected by the Buckweed and Ranch fires, will remain closed until rehabilitation efforts are complete.

Officials did not say how long that effort will take. Lands east of Piru Lake and Piru Creek affected by the Ranch fire will remain closed for one year.

In Los Padres National Forest, most of the San Rafael Wilderness and all of the Dick Smith Wilderness, as well as some surrounding land affected by the Zaca fire will remain closed through April.

Several areas affected by the Grass Valley and Slide fires in the San Bernardino National Forest also will remain closed until rehabilitation is completed, including trails near Green Valley as well as the Fisherman's and Tent Peg campgrounds.

Cleveland National Forest supervisor William Metz issued an emergency order Thursday closing much of the forest's northern end through November 2008. The closure covers steep slopes and scenic watersheds that were scorched in the Santiago fire.

"The closure is felt to be the most immediate and effective method to reduce the potential for loss of life, and loss of significant physical and cultural resources," Metz wrote in the order. "Also during this closure, the land will have a chance to rest."

Nearly 90,000 acres of the forest's 438,000 acres burned in the fire, Forest Service officials said. An estimated 850,000 people used the forest for recreation in 2002, the last time a survey was done.

"We've had this heaven in our own backyards, so it's hard," said Chay Peterson, a founder of Sprocketheads, a mountain biking club based in Silverado Canyon that has conducted Thursday-night rides in most of the affected areas for 20 years.

"I support the rejuvenation of the forest," Peterson added. "We will abide by the wishes . . . to stay out of these areas."

Signs announcing the closures have been posted at most trail heads and gates, officials said. Anyone caught violating the closure orders could face six months in prison and fines of as much as $10,000.

"It's not like we have guards at every gate or people with shotguns out looking for people. . . . We do have law enforcement officers," said Cleveland National Forest spokeswoman Anabele Cornejo. "It's the honor system mostly. . . . We're doing this because we don't want people to get hurt."

janet.wilson at latimes.com