[pct-l] Dog Help

g l gailpl2003 at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 16 19:47:35 CST 2007

Mags-

  I've already confessed to wanting my dog with me and I know certainly he wants to be with me as well......he wants to go EVERYWHERE I go, like most dogs and their owners......

  I was hiking in OR last month and gone for 10 days, and when I got back home in the pitch dark at 9 o'clock at night, there he was in the front window, watching for me!!!!
  10 days later!!!!!  What kind of loyalty is that????!!!!  Amazing......I would have thought he'd have given me up for dead by then......no wonder we love our dogs!

Paul Magnanti <pmags at yahoo.com> wrote:
        Underneath my links, I mentioned how the desert is a whole 'nother ball of wax.

Should be repeated twice, though. Donna has probably seen many dogs who frankly looked very worse for wear after the SoCal desert.

My advice: If you are really set on taking your dog with you, I'd wait until after SoCal and the High Sierra.  After these sections are much more friendly to dogs not only in terrain, but also in terms of logistics. (e.g. not NPS lands).  There are some exceptions of course, but you'll have to check with each area for dog regs.

And though I hinted, I'll say it right out: I think it is the dog OWNERS who can't live without their dogs more so than the other way around. ;-)

I am not saying don't take a dog..but remember, your dog does not have a choice to be on the trail or not. Think long and hard about your dogs health, the terrain, the logistics, regulations, etc. You have the choice to take a long hike. A dog does not.

--Thoreau
http://www.pmags.com