[pct-l] Free Beer, Vets Day, and the PCT.htm

g l gailpl2003 at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 12 10:09:10 CST 2007

And then there's Good ol' Uncle Ed, Cactus Ed, the Bard of Moab, who said:

    "I insist on my right to say what I please, no matter whom it may offend.  To say what I please even when I may myself be doubtful of its truth.  And to say what I please even when I am certain of its truth, as for instance crying "Fire" in a crowded theater when the theater is in fact on fire.  I resent the current effort to place certain subjects, e.g. racial differences, beyond the pale of permissible discourse, and the constant attempt to intimidate the outspoken and to suppress free speech by hysterical screams of "racism! sexism! fascism! communism! homophobia! anti-Semitism! terrorism! anarchism!
    In our taboo-ridden, cult-obsessed, hypersensitive, creed-crazed culture, anyone who attempts to examine tough social questions in a logical, analytic, empiric manner must learn to expect a blizzard of rhetorical abuse from all sides.
    Anyone with any experience of the other animals takes for granted the hereditary nature of basic attributes.  Only we humans like to pretend that we are superior to the laws of biology and evolution.  Vanity, vanity, thy name is humanism- whether Christian, Marxist or "secular".

                                                                                            Edward Abbey

And as far as the government allowing free speech, difficult to swallow having lived long enough to watch the likes of the Kent State Massacre, the Waco Massacre, etc., etc.

Maybe THAT'S one of the reasons our passion is hiking........for once in our lives we are able to break away from all those people who like to believe they actually "control" us.

Wheeew

Brick Robbins <brick at fastpack.com> wrote: On Nov 11, 2007 8:21 PM, Reinhold Metzger  wrote:
> Some of the humorless folks on this list don't seem to believe in the Bill
> of Rights....they continuously try to shut us up or censor our freedom of
> speech whenever we try to liven                    up the show.

Actually, the First Amendment of the bill of rights prohibits the
GOVERNMENT from limiting your freedom of speech.

Anyone else who has control over you, such as your boss, can legally
limit your freedom of speech as a condtion of your employment. And the
list administrator can limit your freedom of speech (or would it be
press?) as a condition of your participation in this list.

So folks, can we please keep things a little more on-topic? It is a
little early for cabin fever to be setting in yet..

http://mail.yahoo.com