[pct-l] underware

V Hurst vjl_47 at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 2 19:35:12 CDT 2007

I have a shirt I got from Campmor which is that Thermasilk...first time I put it on the seam ran...however that was a long time ago and I still wear it...lite and works well underneath other underwear..personally I dont' think its very good silk...jmho its cheap tho...

  Smartwool is good underwear does not wear as well as the Icebreaker stuff but it is wool and preforms well..is very soft

  I have had good luck with the Mountain Hardware silk and midweight undies they wear well and doesnt' seem to stink.. :) warm stuff...

  Of course, my capilene from Patagonia is sooo old looks like new and is the stinky kind but I wear it the bottoms all the time and am never cold...just smelly!! :)

  so many choices not enough time to gear test them!! :) I know people who love Duofold...gack!! :) (gear snob alert!!! :)

  vera

  I also have questions about long underwear or a base layer.  Thermasilk

from Campmor, Smartwool from REI, or just a lightweight fleece seem to
be the most popular choices.  Other ideas?  Polypro stinks, silk wears
out quickly, regular old long johns are heavy and bulky.  I have a
 small
REI nearby that seems to have all the expen$ve stuff that I can touch,
feel, and even try on.  Flagship store is an hour and a half away with
great $ales people.  Campmor is 3000 miles away but I have no problem
ordering online if I know what I want.  The problem is, I don't.  BTW,
I've been to Campmor and have oedered online from them.  Very fast.
  So,
what do YOU wear for a base layer in alpine conditions?  I live near
 the
North Cascades and like winter hiking but am also planning a JMT trek
next July.  Can't afford two or three sets of stuff.  One will have to
serve for everything.  Also could use ideas about a windshirt (is this
really necessray?) and a shell.  Thanks
Beyond this point
There be dragons...

Chris ~ S/V Drifter