[pct-l] PACKWOOD GLACIER

Tom Griffin griffin at u.washington.edu
Fri Nov 2 17:03:12 CDT 2007

I've hiked it twice in early September in my New Balance trail running
shoes. You do not need crampons. If for some strange reason you find it
too dangerous, you can always take the climber's trail to the top of Old
Snowy and avoid the glacier. The way things are going with global
climate change, Packwood Glacier could disappear in a few years.

See <http://home.comcast.net/~griffinte/pct03.html> for my 2003 trip
report on parts of the section you are considering. The Goat Rocks are
one of my favorite places on the PCT in the state of Washington. Be sure
it is a clear day so that you can enjoy the scenery--and the dropoffs.

Tom "Bullfrog" Griffin
Seattle