[pct-l] Sunrise Trailhead and Pioneer Mail DRY

AsABat asabat at cox.net
Thu May 3 09:55:56 CDT 2007

Two key water holes on Laguna just before the desert are now reported dry:

1. I have been told that the solar panels are missing from the pump at the new Sunrise Trailhead and consequently no water was going into the tank, with the trough only half full.

2. I also was told that Pioneer Mail was dry. The tank was low and is now empty, and has not been refilled by the USFS.

PCTA has been notified.

This means there is a 20 mile stretch between Laguna Campground and Rodriguez Truck Trail that has no on-trail water, although water was available about 1 mile north of the trail in Chariot Canyon.

There is also an unconfirmed rumor that there may now be water at the Mason Valley tank. Don't count on it, but if someone finds water there please let us know.

Be prepared,
AsABat